[mythtv-users] how long should commercial flagging take to complete?

Vincent Jorrand vjorrand at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 22:08:55 UTC 2007

From: Kevin Ould <crippler75 at gmail.com>

> On 2/19/07, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com > wrote: I'd probably kill it.
> >
> > How are you starting mythbackend? Is it running from a init.d entry
> > (like automatically on startup) or are you starting it from a command
> > line?
> >
> > If you are starting it from a command line, you'll want to add
> > something like this:
> >
> > mythbackend --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log
> >
> > There's a whole slew of levels of debugging you can turn on with the
> > -v switch.. Here's the other options you can push via the command
> > line, then the debug switches:
>

> Well I went ahead and killed mythbackend. I restarted it from terminal with
> "mythbackend -l /var/log/mythtv.log -v commflag" and I have since watched
> about 3 hours of tv and recorded one 1 hour program. I checked mythweb just
> now and it is still trying to run the job on the Family Guy episode from last
> evening. I just checked the log file and it seems as though it is putting
> pretty much everything into the log file at the moment so it is a bit hard to
> sift through for commflag stuff. When I cursor over the job in mythweb under
> status it says it's running in green and under note it says searching for
> logo. The status was from 7:30 though which is about when I fired up
> mythbackend. Obviously something isn't working, either it doesn't like the
> recording or I have some other issues which is probably likely. Is there a
> way to cancel this job and let it move on to the next and see if that works.
> I have another show I recorded tonight waiting to be flagged.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

I sometimes get that when I delete a recording that is currently being commflagg'ed.
It looks like the mythcommflag process gets stuck and starts using all the available CPU (although with a very low priority and thus does not cause any problems).
I run top once in  a while to see if I have any processes in that state and if I do I kill them.
I guess I should really post a bug report on that, but I am not sure what the exact failure conditions are as it does not always happen.

Vincent