[mythtv-users] Suggested firewire cards

Bryan Mayland bmayland at leoninedev.com
Tue Feb 20 20:31:24 UTC 2007

Chris Weiland wrote:
> Lastly, If I get an motherboard like that with an integrated graphics
> card, how much ram should I plan on getting?  All I'm going to run on
> this is mythtv, and I am planning on using it for HD content
> (recording over firewire or my pchdtv 5500).  I was planning on 512 -
> is this enough?

    I ran mine with 512MB for a while, watching SD content on an output
resolution of 1280x720.  While watching content I'd typically have 490MB
of memory in use, which didn't leave much for file caching.  MythTV is
this machine's only purpose (besides having samba running) so I'd say
512MB might be pushing it.  I've got 1.5GB now, but probably even 768MB
would be enough.