[mythtv-users] DVD drive on frontend, storage and transcoding on backend?

Bruce H McIntosh scotsman at afn.org
Tue Feb 20 20:19:08 UTC 2007

Ok, I've been through every FAQ, HOWTO, forum archive and wiki I can
find, but cannot pin this down.

My setup:  I've built frontend and backend boxes using knoppmyth.  The
backend box has two PVR250s and several hundred gig of storage; it does
NOT have a DVD drive (it's an older dual P3 mobo that throws DMA errors
if a DVD drive is hooked up).  The frontend box has a DVD drive.  What I
would like is for all my recorded programs, ripped DVDs, audio files
(mp3s, CD rips, etc), games, photos, etc., to wind up in the /myth
directory on the backend box.  I also want any transcoding to happen on
the backend, as it's a dually (I presume for that, I just have to have
mtd running as a daemon).  What's unclear to me is how to configure the
*frontend* so that all the file storage occurs on the *backend*.  Do I
need to nfs- or samba- mount the backend's /myth on the frontend box(es,
as there will eventually be two or three of 'em)?  The reams of info
OutThere are just not clear on this.