[mythtv-users] Mythbackend Crashes While Changing Channels on HD-5500

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Tue Feb 20 17:38:47 UTC 2007

I thought I'd give this one more shot here. I'm really at a loss with this
crash problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated -- thanks.

I'm trying to get my first distributed frontend/backend MythTV setup working
and I'm having stability problems with mythbackend and the PcHDTV HD-5500.

My setup is an SMP server running kernel 2.6.18.6 with a single HD-5500,
mythbackend and MySQL. I've got a single mythfrontend-only box driving a
1680x1050 widescreen PC display using a Geforce 6200 and the nvidia binary
drivers.

After playing with the profiles, I've got the backend making recordings that
play just fine on the frontend, both SD/analog and HD/Digital channels from my
cable system.

But once I start watching live TV and then start switching channels:
   --audio sometimes drops out
   --mythfrontend displays "Error was encountered while displaying video."
and 	        kicks me out of live TV
   --I start to see "NVR: Only read -1 bytes of 8192 bytes from '/dev/dsp
	read audio: Input/output error" in the mytbackend logs
   --I start to see things like "cx88[0]: irq aud [0x1001] dn_risci1* dn_sync*
	cx88[0]/1: clearing mask" on the mythbackend console

Mythbackend eventually segfaults:
mythbackend[5812]: segfault at 00002aaaaac00000 rip 0000003da5271f9a rsp
000000004680ac98 error 7

Leaving:
$ps -ef |grep myth
root      8101     1  0 Feb17 ?        00:00:01 [mythbackend] <defunct>

And no amount of 'pkill -KILL' or '-HUP' or '-TERM' will remove the defunct
mythbackend. The only thing that clears it is a (*gasp*) reboot!

I'd really appreciate it if anyone can shed any light on this. My next stop is
  linuxtv.org where it looks like they develop the cx88 (et al) drivers that
power the HD-5500.

Thanks,
Kirk Bocek