[mythtv-users] how long should commercial flagging take to complete?

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 01:22:25 UTC 2007

On 2/19/07, Kevin Ould <crippler75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/19/07, Blammo <blammo.doh at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Check /var/log/myth/mythbackend.log - and look for complaints about
> > "for data to become available". That could indicate contention, either
> > on the ethernet bus, CPU, or disk. That can slow flagging way down.
>
> Unfortunately I don't think I have logging enabled at the moment as the file
> you mention doesn't exist. Next time I run mythbackend I will be sure to
> enable some logging options. At this point should I just kill the process or
> let it run its course?

I'd probably kill it.

How are you starting mythbackend? Is it running from a init.d entry
(like automatically on startup) or are you starting it from a command
line?

If you are starting it from a command line, you'll want to add
something like this:

mythbackend --logfile /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log

There's a whole slew of levels of debugging you can turn on with the
-v switch.. Here's the other options you can push via the command
line, then the debug switches:

-----------------------------------

-h or --help                   List valid command line parameters
-l or --logfile filename       Writes STDERR and STDOUT messages to filename
-p or --pidfile filename       Write PID of mythbackend to filename
-d or --daemon                 Runs mythbackend as a daemon
-v or --verbose debug-level    Use '-v help' for level info
--printexpire                  List of auto-expire programs
--printsched                   Upcoming scheduled programs
--testsched                    Test run scheduler (ignore existing schedule)
--resched                      Force the scheduler to update
--nosched                      Do not perform any scheduling
--noupnp                       Do not enable the UPNP server
--nojobqueue                   Do not start the JobQueue
--nohousekeeper                Do not start the Housekeeper
--noautoexpire                 Do not start the AutoExpire thread
--version                      Version information

#mythbackend -v help
Verbose debug levels.
Accepts any combination (separated by comma) of:

  all           - ALL available debug output
  important     - Errors or other very important messages
  general       - General info
  record        - Recording related messages
  playback      - Playback related messages
  channel       - Channel related messages
  osd           - On-Screen Display related messages
  file          - File and AutoExpire related messages
  schedule      - Scheduling related messages
  network       - Network protocol related messages
  commflag      - Commercial Flagging related messages
  audio         - Audio related messages
  libav         - Enables libav debugging
  jobqueue      - JobQueue related messages
  siparser      - Siparser related messages
  eit           - EIT related messages
  vbi           - VBI related messages
  database      - Display all SQL commands executed
  dsmcc         - DSMCC carousel related messages
  mheg          - MHEG debugging messages
  upnp          - upnp debugging messages
  socket        - socket debugging messages
  timestamp     - Conditional data driven messages
  none          - NO debug output

The default for this program appears to be: '-v important,general'

Most options are additive except for none, all, and important.
These three are semi-explicit and take precedence over any
prior options given.  You can however use something like
'-v none,jobqueue' to get only JobQueue related messages
and override the default verbosity level.

The additive options may also be subtracted from 'all' by
prefixing them with 'no', so you may use '-v all,nodatabase'
to view all but database debug messages.

Some debug levels may not apply to this program.