[mythtv-users] 16:9 playback of 16:9 letterboxed recordings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 19 23:53:55 UTC 2007

On 02/19/2007 06:37 PM, Mike Schiller wrote:
> On 2/19/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> On 02/19/2007 04:39 PM, Mike Schiller wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to watch 16:9 letterboxed recordings (think 4:3 recording
>>> with black bars at the top and bottom) on my 16:9 TV.  Myth's '4:3
>>> Zoom' and 'Fill' aspect options almost do the trick, but both seem to
>>> zoom in a little too far.  They cut off a little bit of picture on all
>>> sides (though it seems to be most noticeable at the top and bottom).
>>> Is there any way to specify the degree of zoom?
>>>
>> Manual zoom.  Hit Menu.
>>
> Thanks, that worked great (after some tweaking of my remote to get the
> PgUp and PgDown keys mapped).  Is there a way to save custom zooms for
> future use?

Nope.  Best you could do is make a "macro" to send all the appropriate
keystrokes...

Daniel has been talking about the need to separate out aspect ratio
overrides from zoom modes, at which point it would be easier to add
support for "remembering" custom zooms, but he has a lot of more
important tasks he's been working on instead.

> One strange thing... it sort of looks like the recording (Myth Busters
> from the Discovery channel) isn't actually 16:9.

It seems to me that often broadcasters do a poor job of centering and
maintaining aspect ratio when inserting letterbox/pillarbox bars, but I
haven't done any real testing (nor have I had access to their source
material to allow proper testing).  So, I may be off my rocker (or my
Myth box or my TV may be improperly configured, making it look like a
problem in the video I receive from the broadcaster).

Mike