[mythtv-users] Always record like TiVO (was Re: OT: Interestingstudy on HDD failure by Googlelabs)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Feb 19 22:41:49 UTC 2007

On 02/19/2007 04:24 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:

> >> Right.  As you said, /a/ reason.  Not /the/ reason.  ;)

> >> As is people are/have been whining about the fact that LiveTV is
> >> only expired once per day so they can't "see how much disk space
> >> is available".  If tuners were always recording, there would
> >> always be 0 space available (although, perhaps on only one of
> >> potentially many partitions with the new Storage Groups).
> >
> > When I said "tivo-like", I really meant "like tivo"... ;) That
> > means a 30 minute (or some other configurable amount) on-disk
> > ringbuffer per tuner. Hardly something that'll fill up your hard
> > drive.

I'm not trying to be sarcastic here--I really want to understand your
proposal--but how is a 30-minute ringbuffer better than just recording
everything and deleting the oldest stuff when space is needed.  Granted,
it antagonizes the people who think they need to know how much space is
available on disk, but ignoring that, why would you think that only the
last 30-minutes from any point in time is worth having on disk?  (Or, is
it because you want to know how much space is available on disk?)

>  Ah. This is one of those things that is only going to appeal to users
>  who use LiveTV then.
>
>  Personally I prefer Michael's proposal, with the addition that I'd
>  want Myth to chop up the recording into shows the way LiveTV does.

It will.

>  It's be nice if it skipped recording duplicate showings as well.

It will if you enable duplicate matching on the rule.  :)

Set up a rule and see for yourself.

Mike