[mythtv-users] strange 1920x540 with nvidia

Seth Daniel mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org
Mon Feb 19 20:16:23 UTC 2007

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 10:07:35AM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/17/07, Seth Daniel <mythtv.org at sethdaniel.org> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was having issues with the default binary nvidia driver that comes
> > with Ubuntu Edgy.  I could get a 1920x1080i display on my CRT RPTV but
> > whenever I tried to play video, whether it be through Myth or through
> > mplayer I'd just get a blank, black screen and my Xorg.0.log would have
> > tons of the following in it:
[...snip...]

> Here's the modes X.org will accept from your EDID info,
> (II) NVIDIA(0): --- Modes in ModePool for JVC AV-56WP84HA (DFP-0) ---
> (II) NVIDIA(0): "nvidia-auto-select" : 1920 x 1080 @ 120.1 Hz
> Interlace  (from: EDID)
> (II) NVIDIA(0): "1920x1080"          : 1920 x 1080 @ 120.1 Hz
> Interlace  (from: EDID)
[...snip...]

> you can ignore any of the "from: X Server" modes as they most likely won't work.
> I'd stick with
> (II) NVIDIA(0): "1920x1080"          : 1920 x 1080 @ 120.1 Hz
> Interlace  (from: EDID)
> (II) NVIDIA(0): "1280x720"           : 1280 x  720 @  60.0 Hz  (from: EDID)
> for your xorg.conf,
>  Modes       "1920x1080" "1280x720"
>
> then check the myth logs ("-v all") to see if it gives you any errors,
> etc. as to why you get a blank screen. It could be its trying to
> switch to a different resolution or that Xv isn't initializing
> correctly.

Steve,

The problem is that when I select the 1920x1080 mode I get only a
'virtual' screen of 1920x1080 (the nvidia driver calls this the
'backend' resolution).  I get a visible screen (frontend) of 1920x540.
Everything is chopped off in the middle (video playback is chopped in
the middle, the mythtv frontend is chopped in the middle, etc...).
This is with the 9xxx nvidia drivers.

When I use the 8xxx driver I can get 1920x1080i, but I get the black
screen when trying to play any video.  If I am using, say, mplayer to
play something at this resolution then mplayer will become nearly
impossible to kill and the window it created will not un-map even if I
'kill -9' the mplayer process (the process will eventually go away but
the black, empty window sticks around).  The only potential error
messages that I see are the '(WW) NVIDIA(0): WAIT(...)' messages that I
get in my Xorg.0.log file.  The myth logs say nothing when I try to
watch tv at 1920x1080i with the 8xxx drivers.

Currently I am running everything at 1280x720p.  It looks fine but I
know my TV can do 1920x1080i. :-(

--
seth / @sethdaniel.org
Q:  What's the difference between a Mac and an Etch-a-Sketch?