[mythtv-users] Running optimize_mythdb.pl before mythfilldatabase

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Feb 19 19:58:49 UTC 2007

Yeechang Lee wrote:
> I have no idea whether there indeed is the possibility of an undesired
> race condition by having these two actions occur at the same time...

Looking at optimize_mythdb.pl, all it does is call MySQL's "REPAIR
TABLE" and "OPTIMIZE TABLE" functions.  These two functions
automatically lock the affected tables to prevent anything else from
messing with them while they work.   I wouldn't lose any sleep over the
two jobs happening to coincide with each other; I think the worst that
could happen is mythfilldatabase might have to wait for the repair and
optimize jobs to finish and release their table locks before it could
finish.