[mythtv-users] OpenGL Painter ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 19 12:30:13 UTC 2007

On Feb 19, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2007, at 10:52 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:
>
>> Brian Wood wrote:
>>> So I bit the big one and decided to try out 0.20 on a test
>>> platform.
>>> More to make sure I am not giving out bad advice to users of newer
>>> Myth systems than anything else.
>>>
>>> So let me see if I get this right: The OpenGL painter requires more
>>> cycles of higher-priced hardware in order to make the menu changes
>>> take longer?
>>>
>>> Or am I missing something here ?
>>
>> I don't know.  I admit the fade effect looks kinda kewl, but I
>> disabled
>> it pretty quickly because I found it too annoying to have to wait for
>> the fade before I could navigate the menus.
>
> You can start navigating the next menu when waiting the 1 second or
> so for the fade. If it's taking longer than that, you don't have
> OpenGL working correctly.

I've got OpenGL working properly, and the "effect" is actually a good
way to prove that I guess. It's surprising how many folks don't get
this get this set up right.

> You're missing the point. The switch to OpenGL was not to have fading
> menus. It's for all the other good stuff coming down the line which
> comes with having OpenGL support.

No I see the point, I guess I was just poking a little fun. I really
should be more careful as folks who don't know me very well might
take things the wrong way.

Video cards with good OpenGL support can be had for $30, it's not
really "high-end" hardware anymore, unless you're running a really
stripped down F/E in which case you can disable the OpenGL stuff.

It's just that to me eye-candy is unimportant, I recall a certain
word processor project that was so very concerned with "skins" before
they could even manage to print, a pretty fatal flaw for a WP in my
opinion.

But you're right, OpenGL opens up (no pun intended) a lot of
possibilities down the road, and a journey of a thousand miles starts
with...