[mythtv-users] Program information storage

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 08:08:42 UTC 2007

On 19/02/07, Shawn Rutledge <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com> wrote:
> I see that I have about 53,000 entries in my "people" table.  Since
> name is type char(128) (not even varchar!) they take up a lot of
> space.  In general the myth database is taking up several gigs.  Other
> big tables are credits (111,369 rows), program, programgenres, and
> recordedseek.  Is this normal?  Is there some periodic cleanup I ought
> to do to save space and optimize the database?

I would check your recordedseek table - if you have lots of MPEG2
recordings this table can get very large.

As a comparison, I have 45,791 people records, 43,644 credits records,
31,654 program records, and 99,465 recordedseek records for about 8
recordings. The total size of my DB is a whopping 29MB and contains
256,000 records in total.

There is an database optimisation script in /mythtv/contrib called
optimize_mythdb.pl which many users run daily via cron.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki:
http://mythtv.org/wiki/