[mythtv-users] OpenGL Painter ???

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Feb 19 05:35:57 UTC 2007

On Feb 18, 2007, at 10:03 PM, Yan Seiner wrote:

> Brian Wood napsal(a):
>> I guess I just don't get it when it comes to eye-candy, but then I
>> grew up in the era of ASR-33 teletypes :-)
>>
> Hah!  The young'uns don't know what they're missing.... A 300 cps
> paper
> tape punch was a thing of envy....
>
> Try storing even a minute of HD on one of those....  :-)
>
> I spent hours listening to an ASR-33 punch tape at what... 12 CPS?
> What
> a racket!  And a few years later I saw one sitting by the dumpster.  I
> really, really thought about taking it with me, but I had no room for
> it.  We used to steal the paper towel rolls from the bathroom for
> paper
> since the 'official' rolls were so bloody expensive.
>
> (and if you don't know what an ASR-33 teletype is, you need to take a
> history lesson....)

Depends on what you mean by CPS, the ASR-33 was by definition 10 CPS
but that was octal, not hex, and by compressing you could get 4 bytes
in three octal words punching binary tape (not counting checksum
blocks).

Of course we had the "high-speed" reader, 200 CPS :-)

Wasn't it fun to run a tape for an hour only to get a "checksum
error" at the end ?

These kids ...

But they will inherit the earth, and I certainly hope they don't
screw it up as much as we did :-)