[mythtv-users] Changing recordings from "any channel" to "this channel" help

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun Feb 18 23:43:05 UTC 2007

Matt wrote:
> On 2/14/07, Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
>> Matt wrote:
>>>    I have a recording rule to record a show for my wife.  New episodes
>>> are currently not show, but another network frequently shows marathons
>>> of the show.  The problem is that the other network doesn't show any
>>> description of the show and so I'll get dozens of recordings showing
>>> up.
>> I'd say your best move is to go into Scheduling Options and use
>> the "Record new episodes only" dup option. Unidentified episodes
>> You might want to Add "New episodes only" while you're at it:
>>
>> Rule Name: Top Clerk
>>
>> program.title = 'Top Clerk'
>> AND channel.callsign = 'BRAVO'
>> AND program.previouslyshown = 0
> As always, thanks Bruce... I set it to "Record New Episodes Only".
> Is this the option you use as default on all your recordings?

No, in fact I've rarely used this. One exception is Saturday
Night Live which is on NBC once per week where I want to record
new but want to see the reruns marked "r" so I see the description
and can choose "Record anyway" if it is one that I'd like to see
again.

'New episodes' is the wrong choice for movies, keywords, syndicated
shows, current events shows with generic descriptions, etc, If I'm
recording new episodes only for current series, I'd more likely
choose a custom rule as described in section 12 of the HOWTO.

program.title = 'Top Clerk'
AND program.previouslyshown = 0

The difference here is that this only matches the new episodes
rather than matching all then marking all reruns as "r". A recent
example I've used is that Top Chef had two episodes remaining in
the season but with with marathons leading up to the finale, there
were 77 showings for Top Chef. Top (Chef|Design|Clerk|Accountant)
are Wed at 10 and I can always record that first showing so:

Rule Name: Top Job

program.title LIKE 'Top %'
AND channel.callsign = 'BRAVO'
AND program.previouslyshown = 0
AND program.first > 0

...will match just the first showing for each new episode. For
Top Chef, this would match and record the two final episodes and
would not include the 75 other repeats.

I use this idiom:

program.title = 'Favorite Show'
AND program.previouslyshown = 0

so often that current SVN has an option for "Exclude old episodes"
as well as "Exclude unidentified episodes" so I can do this without
making a power search rule just for this common trick.

--  bjm