[mythtv-users] multi-encoder backend: confused about which chanels are on which encoder

Seth Hettich sjh at zorak.net
Sun Feb 18 23:09:51 UTC 2007

On 2/14/07, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 15:25 -0800, Seth Hettich wrote:
> > ivtv-detect confirms that /dev/video0 is the pcHDTV3k, and that
> > /dev/video1 is the pvr-150
>
> Okay - that's one problem - it shouldn't see the pcHDTV card
> as /dev/videoX at all if you're not using the analog tuner on the card.
> I have the following entries in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist:
>
> blacklist cx8800
> blacklist cx88_blackbird
>
> And then in /etc/modprobe.conf I have:
>
> alias char-major-81-1 cx88-dvb
>
> Once you've got those entries, you'll want to do a 'depmod', then reboot
> (or manually remove the existing modules with 'modprobe -r' - rebooting
> is faster), followed by rerunning mythtv-setup...
>
> > one bit: when I go into mythtv-setup and configure the pcHDTV...
> >
> > I have always used it as DVB-input, and it worked .  But now sometimes
> > it has an error in there about the card not responding, or the device
> > being in use (I'm not at home right now so I can't be sure).  If I
> > switch to the other driver (the pcHDTV specific one) then later in the
> > step where you connect up the program source to the card there is
> > always an error.
> > So, when I get that I generally restart myth and re-run setup and I
> > can configure it with the DVB driver.
> >
> > I'm not sure if that's related to the channel->card mapping or not...
> >
> > I wish I had a better understanding of how myth deals with input cards
> > and program sources for scheduling.
>
> See above!  Also - check the wiki for examples...

Ah, thanks, that makes much more sense now, and some things seem to
work better this way.

tivi# ivtv-detect
driver:   ivtv-0.7.0 (tagged release)
card:     Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150, bus info 0000:02:04.0, ivtv card #0
hardware: cx25840 tuner wm8775 tveeprom
        /dev/video24: PCM encoding (links: /dev/video)
           /dev/vbi0: VBI encoding (links: /dev/vbi)
         /dev/video0: MPG encoding
        /dev/video32: YUV encoding

But it's still confused about the channels, what I have now under
MythTV Status (mythweb):

Encoder status
Encoder 1 is local on tivi and is not recording.
Encoder 2 is local on tivi and is not recording.

Schedule
The next 10 shows that are scheduled for recording:

Sun 2/18 3:00 PM - Encoder 2 - Bravo - Law & Order: Criminal Intent
Sun 2/18 3:00 PM - Encoder 1 - G4-video game television - Arrested Development
[...]

So, right there you can see a problem...  one of my two encoders
(encoder 1, I think) is just an OTA pcHD3000, so it's going to have a
hard time getting cable shows :(