[mythtv-users] DVB(S) tuner sensitivity (and my other) experiences

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Sun Feb 18 11:39:55 UTC 2007

Dave wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thought i'd post so people will realise that often it's not myth's fault.
>
> I built a mythtv system with a variety of components in a relatively
> small form factor box (thermaltake vc7001sns) and a Technotrend S1500
> budget dvb card. Everything went well, but for the life of me i couldn't
> watch a decent picture from the satellite as i was getting constant
>
> [mpeg2video @ 0x86b3238]ac-tex damaged at 13 26
> [mpeg2video @ 0x86b3238]concealing errors
>
> errors and stuttering blocky video images and pip and squeak audio every
> minute or so. I was so depressed as the WAF (wife approval factor) was
> tending to zero having parted with my dreambox only recently.

<snip>

> This was a public service announcement
> Dave

Some interesting ideas there.  One more to add to the list; I have an
HVR3000 along with an NVIDIA Quadro graphics card in a small form factor
case.  I've found that I can record from DVB-S in perfect quality so
long as I'm not watching anything at the same time.  As soon as I try to
watch at the same time as recording (either watch what I'm recording, or
watch something that was previously recorded) I start to get errors in
the DVB stream.

I think I've narrowed this down to some sort of conflict between the
HVR3000 and the NVIDIA binary drivers.  If I use the "nv" driver for
graphics, then I don't see this problem, but mythfrontend is sooo slow
using "nv" on my system it's virtually unusable so this isn't really an
option.

Robert.