[mythtv-users] Is XFS the best choice?

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 09:43:54 UTC 2007

On 2/11/07, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My question is, Is XFS a good file system to use for Mythtv (or
> > anything?).
>
> I used to have system lockups and began to suspect XFS. I now run JFS
> and have no problems. _However_, I also upgraded the whole OS from FC3
> to FC5 so there's no proof that it was XFS. However, there is plenty
> of smoke about XFS - enough to steer clear of it, I think. JFS and
> EXT3 seem to be problem free.

I experienced some real nasty stability issues under multiple hardware
platforms / kernels etc when combining XFS + SWRaid + NFS. Any one of
the 3 on their own was fine. Together they produced unexplained
crashes (again, multiple hardware, multiple distros / multiple
kernels)

Went to HW Raid, kept XFS+NFS, all is well.

Just my $0.02