[mythtv-users] Is XFS the best choice?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Feb 17 14:39:50 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 11:13 -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:
> I have noticed lately though that fragmentation may be slowing the
> whole thing down? I dunno, but it seems noticeably slower the last few
> months for no apparent reason.

There is a defragmentation tool for XFS. I forget the name of
it at the moment, but it runs for two hours when started and
is suitable for putting in cron as part of nightly maintenance.
XFS tries hard not to fragment files, this is in fact part of
the reason for the zeroed files on crashes. But if the disk
gets near full the files must by necessity be put down in a
fragmented manner.

-- Daniel