[mythtv-users] Calling all Flash developers (for MythWeb)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Feb 16 23:38:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 00:24 -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> Peter Bowyer wrote:
> > I'm definitely not an expert, but in order to provide another
> > datapoint for your investigations - I use FlowPlayer
> > (flowplayer.sourceforge.net) for embedding flv videos into web pages.
> > It has a lot of the features you're looking for, and more - and is
> > licensed Apache-style. I found it very easy to use even for a
> > non-Javascript person, following the examples on the website.
>
> Thanks for the note.  I hadn't bumped into this one, and it looks pretty
> nice.  However, the Apache License is also (apparently) incompatible
> with the GPL.

This wasn't intentional. It is due to a technicality having
to do with when a company that alleges patent infringement
against a licensed program loses the protections of the
license. Under Apache 2.0 they lose it as soon as they file
a suit, but under a possibly valid interpretation of the
GPL 2.0 they don't lose it until they win an injunction or
judgement prevent other people from distributing the program.
Whether this interpretation is valid has not been tested in
court, and since it could cause havoc to a program that had
strongly linked components under both licenses if turns out
to be a valid interpretation the FSF recommends not mixing
the two. The GPL 3.0 will probably fix this ambiguity.

Programs licensed under Apache 2.0 are definitely free software.
The mixing of the two without a license firewall, such as a
plug-in architecture, is a problem.

-- Daniel