[mythtv-users] Avermedia A180

Kevin Cossaboon cossaboon.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 23:20:10 UTC 2007

On Feb 16, 2007, at 5:57 PM, <michaelachandler at cox.net>
<michaelachandler at cox.net> wrote:

> ---- Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
>> michaelachandler at cox.net wrote:

>> I love my Avermedia A180s.  I have 2 installed in my slave backend.
>> Work great for QAM cable HDTV.  The setup was easy and the drivers
>> were
>> out of the box in FC4.
>>
>> Kevin
>

> Thanks Kevin, but I wonder how does that disclaimer  fit?  "Note:
> Product for free-to-air HDTV broadcasts only, product DOES NOT
> receive satellite or cable HDTV transmissions."

ATSC HDTV is off the air transmission. Some Cable operators simulcast
OFF AIR over Cable (like channels 2 -13 were/are). Others take the
signal and put it into a MPEG2-TS that is MUX into a QAM, and require
a Set Top Box to recieve the QAM, de-mux the MPEG-TS, and decode the
Mpeg2 or Mpeg4.

It appears that this card can work with ONLY ATSC, so your cable
company needs to be simulcasting.

hope this help

--A different Kevin.