[mythtv-users] hd recordings stutter, hd live doesn't

chasejunk at yahoo.com chasejunk at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 16 14:07:09 UTC 2007

  On Feb 10, 2007, at 1:08 PM, Kurt Yoder wrote:

>> Hello all

>> I'm having stuttering problems playing back HD recordings. Strangely,

>> I get no stuttering playing back Live TV. This has me stumped. Any

>> ideas why this would be? I have XVMC enabled.

> Anyone?

> It seems like if it plays back fine on Live TV, it should also play

> back fine from recordings. Live TV is after all just a recording. Is

> this incorrect?

 I am having a similar problem, but it is with in-progress recordings.

On my remote frontend I can watch HD livetv.  But if I switch to recording the same program and watching it on the remote frontend, I get constant pre-buffer pauses.

HD livetv leaves only a few percent idle CPU on the frontend, but it plays okay.  The in-progress recording has the CPU in a lot of "wa" state as it suffers the pre-buffer pauses.  If I then wait for the recording to finish I can then watch it with no problem.  Oddly, when I watch a pre-recorded show on the remote frontend, it leaves about 10% more CPU idle.  Why does it matter to a frontend whether the recording was in progress, livetv or already completed?

It would appear that the problem is related either to streaming or buffering with the backend or frontend.

What is the difference on a remote frontend and/or backend among these to cause a difference in the CPU load?  I thought livetv and recordings used the same filed-based buffering plus streaming protocol?  And why would the CPU load on a remote frontend be less for a completed recording?

The remote frontend is a Sempron 3200+ with a nvidia 5200 (driver 9746) and uses RGB to my HDTV.

I am using mythtv from ATrpms version 0.20-150.fc5.at.

Chris