[mythtv-users] a little OT: deinterlacing question

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 19:46:13 UTC 2007

If the original source was recorded with actual film (most prerecorded TV in
USA) then the two interlaced fields are in fact split from the same source
frame and can be recombined later to form a 30p fps picture.  If the
original source was recorded with a video camera (live TV: sports/news &
much European prerecorded TV) then the two interlaced fields are unique.
And combining them together will result in visual artifacts.

If the original source was recorded with movie film (24fps) it gets more
complicated.  Movie film to PAL/DVB 50fps is done by  speeding up the
framerate 24fps => 25fps.  If it is saved interlaced then each two fields
comprise one full frame.  Movie file to NTSC/ATSC 60fps is done with a 3/2
telecine process that makes six interlaced fields (three frames) out of two
progressive frames.  But with a inversetelecine process you can get the
correct 24fps progressive frames back.