[mythtv-users] Calling all Flash developers (for MythWeb)

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 19:02:01 UTC 2007

On 2/15/07, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
> David Brieck Jr. wrote:
> > For clarity, would you accept a flash video player created in
> > Macromedia Flash? If someone used Macromedia to create the player,
> > then licensed said player as free as in beer software would that work
> > for you?
>
> "Free as in beer" is not compatible with the GPL.  I know that MythTV
> sort of skirts the line by using mp3, etc., but I won't include
> something with MythWeb that isn't Free free.
>
> I don't care where the file is created, though.  I assume that if
> something were created with Macromedia's app, there would be a "source
> document" that could be included to satisfy the terms of the GPL, no?
>
> -Chris

Sure, Macromedia Flash creates an .fla file which is the uncompiled
version of the swf. Not sure what program other than Flash could read
it but that would be the source.

Are you just looking at doing progressive HTTP downloads or setting up
an RTMP server?

I should also warn you, using ffmpeg to create the FLVs doesn't insert
cue points so you can't jump to a position. We use a little Ruby app
named flvtool2 (http://rubyforge.org/projects/flvtool2/) to insert
this extra data after the conversion.