[mythtv-users] Record to one directory, move to another after transcoding?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 14 17:18:39 UTC 2007

On Feb 14, 2007, at 9:48 AM, Nate Carlson wrote:

> I'd like to set up my Myth box to stream recordings-in-progress to one
> disk array (striped for write performance), and when the recording is
> finished transcoding, move it off to a larger storage array (RAID6, so
> slow writes). I understand that the SVN version of Myth now supports
> multiple recording directories.. just curious if anyone has set
> things up
> this way, and if so, if you have any pointers?

When you say "stream" recordings in progress do you mean "streaming"
it in addition to recording it in the normal way? As in record it in
two places at once, the second location via "streaming"?

I think what you mean by "streaming" is not what the usual meaning
is, or else I'm just not understanding what you want to do.

If you just want to move a recording to another location look at the
myth_archive_job.pl script in the contrib directory. This will simply
move a recording to another location leaving a link to it in the
original location. This is what I do for moving a recording after-the-
fact to a storage device that's not fast enough to record it in the
first place, which I think may be what you want since you mention the
original location being capable of fast writes and the later storage
location being slow.

Myth_archive_job.pl is completely unrelated to MythArchive, a
similarity of names has caused confusion with some folks.