[mythtv-users] Can't schedule recordings [SOLVED]

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 14 14:39:16 UTC 2007

On 02/14/2007 07:05 AM, Dave M G wrote:
> MythTV Users,
>
> In another thread I mentioned that I solved a database error to do with
> collation settings.
>
> Basically, I had changed the collation on all the tables in the database
> that seemed to be related to storing data about programs. I changed them
> to utf-8. This was so I could get proper Japanese character display in
> the program guide.
>
> It seemed I had not caught all the relevant tables (I didn't change
> every single table because there are a lot, and it's a tedious task to
> do manually). The mismatch was causing some query errors.
>
> I caught the errors, and converted more tables to use utf-8 collation.
>
> I happened to notice after this that I could set programs to record in
> the programme guide!
>
> I guess the query error was causing a hold up somewhere in the process
> of setting recordings.
>
> Bottom line: make sure all the collation settings are consistent.

And, it probably doesn't hurt to realize that the MythTV DB check always
executes:

ALTER DATABASE mythconverg DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1;

Which means that if you change the character set, a DB upgrade will
change it back (and, in so doing will probably cause MySQL to take your
20-character programid columns and turn them into 6-character programid
columns which means that if your grabber reports programid's, all your
recording rules will show all episodes as duplicates; and ...).

/me thinks you may have changed character sets after
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/252365#252365

Mike