[mythtv-users] WinTV-NOVA-T-500 - buying in the UK

Robin Hill myth at robinhill.me.uk
Wed Feb 14 09:23:06 UTC 2007

On Wed Feb 14, 2007 at 08:52:12AM +0000, junk wrote:

> I'm also interested in getting a Nova T 500. I live in a marginal signal
> area. Do you have any idea how sensitive the tuners are?
>
> Also can anyone offer advice on relative merits of using a dual tuner
> card versus two separate cards from a signal reception point of view? I
> want to upgrade from one to two tuners. I'm guessing that using a dual
> tuner card (with the signal split directly at the tuner inputs and the
> tuner inputs presumably either having matched impedance or a buffer or
> something) that I'll get better signal quality than simply using a
> passive splitter on the aerial cable and using two separate cards?

I'm in a pretty low signal area myself (I need a mast-top booster to get
any reception at all) and the Nova-T-500 is sensitive enough for me.
I've noticed no difference in reception quality between having a single
Nova-T-500 and two standard Nova-T's (daisychained as they have an
aerial output as well as input).  Personally I'd doubt the manufacturers
put any effort into optimising the signal splitting at all - I think
they'll have used the equivalent of a cheap passive splitter internally.

HTH,
        Robin
--
     ___