[mythtv-users] WinTV-NOVA-T-500 - buying in the UK

Peter Bowyer peter at bowyer.org
Wed Feb 14 09:18:36 UTC 2007

On 14/02/07, David Campbell <dave at cpfc.org> wrote:
> Peter Bowyer wrote:
> > On 14/02/07, dave at theansells.com <dave at theansells.com> wrote:
> >> I've read on this list that the dual Nova-T card is not fully stable.
> >> Cant verify myself as I have 3 single channel Nova-T cards which were
> >> picked up from eBay.  (They are certainly rock solid.)
> >
> > The Nova-T-500 is stable apart from EIT, which occasionally causes a
> > backend crash. (once every few weeks for me). A friend and I bought
> > one each, and have had good success with them. If you don't use EIT
> > you don't get the problem.
>
> Sorry, what is EIT?

Off-air programme guide. Not needed in the UK for Freeview, becuase
mythfilldatabase will grab (most) listings from radiotimes.com.

> > There's no support for the built-in IR receiver, unfortunately. It's
> > not the same as either the Nova-T PCI or the USB model.
>
> No problems there  - I use a wireless keyboard.  As an aside is the USB
> Nova supported natively in the Kernel?  I had assumed it wasn't  - I
> quite like the idea of multiple USB DVB's haning out the back of my myth
> box.

The Nova-T-500 is actually a USB hub with 2 x USB DVB-T adapters on
board. And yes, you can use the ordinary USB ones as well.

> > You do need a 2.6.19 kernel, though - and now 2.6.20 is released, that
> > probably works too, although I haven't tried it yet.
>
> Ubuntu Edgy hasn't gotten to 2.6.19 - still on 2.6.17 - really don't
> want to manage my kernel outside of apt :(

That will be a showstopper for you with the Nova-T-500, then. Stick
with the single-tuner Nova-Ts.

Peter

--
Peter Bowyer