[mythtv-users] Strange Issue with Myth and HDHomeRun

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 20:37:48 UTC 2007

Stroller, thank you very much for your detailed responses.  I really
appreciate your help.

Just to be clear, my decision to use the hub instead of a switch has nothing
to do with me not knowing the difference between the two, and everything to
do with a lack of resources at the time I was connecting things up.  I had
the B/E box directly connected to the IPCop box using a cross-over cable.  I
had originally intended to put the HDHR on my internal network, but once I
got it and started setting it up I realized that Myth could not find the
HDHR if it was on the internal network.  In my rush to get things up and
running I grabbed the first thing I could get my hands on, which was the
hub.  The way this problem presented itself it was not evident that this
was/is a network issue.  And despite your very valid points, I am still not
100% convinced that it is a network problem.

I know that you said you are not familiar with 'ifconfig', but here's the
latest stats:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:01:6C:A8:D7:C5
          inet addr:192.168.1.2  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::201:6cff:fea8:d7c5/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:106445286 (101.5 MiB)  TX bytes:214347787 (204.4 MiB)
          Interrupt:23 Base address:0xe200

If I was saturating the network wouldn't I see some errors, drops,
collisions, etc.?

Also, I know I've probably been withholding key evidence, but I'm also
running Slimserver (music server) on this Myth B/E.  The service streams
music in various formats over the network, and it's running all the time.  I
have to believe that this is generating at least as much, if not more,
network traffic than simply starting the Myth front-end.  But yet it is
running the Myth F/E, and only this process, that causes a problem with the
recordings.

I am going to try moving the HDHR and Myth B/E into the internal network.
Believe me, I hope I prove you right, and not wrong.

Thanks again to you and the others for the responses.