[mythtv-users] Transcoding for the PDA problems

Jeff volckaert jvolckaert at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 20:06:38 UTC 2007

> It successfully transcodes a 65 minute show (early and late plus
> commercials) to about 250 meg. I can play the resulting file fine from
> vlc, albeit with sometimes poor quality.
Sounds like a pretty big file.  What bitrate?  I use either 256 or
300.  Both play flawless on the PDA, but look not so good under
windows.

> I just got my new pda phone last week, a Cingular 8525, which runs
> Windows Mobile Version 5.0. It has Windows Media Player 10 Mobile for
> Pocket PC version 10.2 Build 14955.
>
> Now the problem, windows media player will not play the video. Do I
> possibly need to find an MPEG-4 codec for it? Anyone know where I might
> find that? Anything else I should do?
what codec are you using?  If you get TCPMP installed you can go into
the media info section to use.

> I also tried TMPCTCPMP_Media_Player_0.81RC1Beta, but when I installed it
> I got an error that it was meant for an older OS. It still installed and
> played, but it did not play the video very well. I don't know if it was
> because of the video or because of the software.
Try tcpmp.arm.cabs.0.71.zip from
"http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/0.71/".  That's the version I use.  I'm
not sure, but there might be separate CABs for the smartphone version.
 I also install ac3.cabs.0.71.zip.  I used to use AC3 audio, but had
trouble with it recently after an FFMPEG upgrade and switched back to
mp3.

Let me know if it works or you need more help.

Jeff