[mythtv-users] How are channel ids allocated?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Feb 13 19:33:03 UTC 2007

On 02/13/2007 10:58 AM, Michael Still wrote:
> I'm playing with a script which needs to create a fake channel, and I'm
> not clear on exactly how channel ids are allocated. Is it just a case of
> picking a free number, or is there some globally assigned list of
> channel ids somewhere?

When boiled down to basics, yes--just a free number.  The algorithm
that's used to pick the free number is in the source, but there's really
no reason you'd have to use that algorithm (as it will pick the next
available number if you happen to pick one that it later generates when
it's adding a new channel).

Mike