[mythtv-users] HD Is Choppy. More RAM?

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Tue Feb 13 19:26:48 UTC 2007

Ackster wrote:
> I use a 6600GT w/ a Athlon64 3400+ and I get occasional chop @ 1920x1080
> with Nvidia crappy driver, so you certainly will.  It traced it back to
> the sync settings of the driver.  Watch your 'top' when you get choppy
> playback, you should see it spiking to 100% and back down to mid point
> and back up again when the chop occurs again.   If it does, fire up
> nvidia-settings applet and toggle off a v-sync or something (I forget
> honestly) and test your CPU load again. One of those settings makes a
> dramatic difference on the load.  Search this forum, I posted about the
> setting before.

Wait, are you still getting chop w/those hardware specs? If so,
something is screwy in your setup. I've got an Athlon 64 3500+ w/a
GeForce 6200TC card, and cpu usage never goes over 35% playing back
1080i content, never over 30% for 720p, and definitely no chop.

> As for Doom 3 being ok, it uses shaders to speed up
> video output, but your HDTV playback won't as there's no geometry to
> work with (it's straight video, not mathematical modeling), so that's
> not a fair comparison.

Definitely not a relevant comparison.

> Eric Broszeit wrote:
>> I have a 3.8Ghz Celeron D. My video card is a GeForce 5700 128MB. It
>> is enough for Doom 3. Seeing as how I am going through firewire, I
>> figured that the video card would be less relevant.

The video card is EXTREMELY relevant. The firewire side of things does
nothing more than dump an mpeg2 file to disk. It has approximately zero
relevance to your system's ability to play back said file. However, you
certainly should have an ample amount of cpu power and a capable enough
video card. My first guess would be that you're not using the binary
nvidia drivers, but that seems unlikely since you say doom 3 runs fine...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com