[mythtv-users] HD Is Choppy. More RAM?

Jarod Wilson lists at wilsonet.com
Tue Feb 13 16:17:45 UTC 2007

Eric Broszeit wrote:
> I have Gnome, the back end, and the front end all on one box with a
> processor that will be more than enough, but the RAM is only 512. Might
> this be the problem? I am capturing via firewire 400mbps. That should be
> plenty fast enough. I am getting about 1 second of video and audio then
> it freezes for 2 seconds, 1 good second, freezes, etc.

Video card and cpu tend to be more relevant than gobs of memory. Care to
share what those are? 512M should generally be enough, though at higher
resolutions, that can get ate up pretty quickly by the GUI. Check your
swap usage. Running your memory in dual-channel mode also seems to help
in some cases -- I'd suspect particularly if you're using some sort of
onboard video.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com