[mythtv-users] Non-linear stretch of 4:3 material

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Mon Feb 12 20:04:00 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:51:20 -0800
"kanetse at gmail.com" <kane.tse at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've seen some discussion on this list about implementing the
> non-linear stretch of 4:3 material to fit a 16:9 screen (where the
> edges of the picture are stretched more than the middle).  Many TVs
> seem to have it nowadays, but not all of them.  In some cases, these
> stretch modes don't work with digital (DVI) or PC inputs (VGA D-sub).
>
> In Canada (and presumbly other non-US regions), there is still a
> substantial amount of SD content out there.  So seeing 4:3 ratio
> material is still frequently the norm; although the proportion of HD
> aspect material is higher for shows aired around prime-time.
>
> Some people have talked about the a non-linear stretch of 4:3; but
> what is the feeling of the users on this list?  Do you think it's
> something that will be implemented into MythTV at some point in the
> future?  Or maybe never?
>
> For me, it's something that guides any TV shopping that I do.  Some of
> the built-in aspect ratio stretchers in TVs are better than others,
> but knowing that MythTV would do the job (at least consistently) would
> be make shopping easier.
>
> How about this - it seems the Windows MCE 2005 has it implemented.
> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000418.html
>
> Is this feature something that anyone else wants or cares about? Does
> everyone else just buy TV's with non-linear stretching features only?
> Or do they just not record 4:3 content anymore?

I view almost all SD content, but have a 16:9 TV.  I've been happy with the 16:9 Stretch that MythTV provides for - but am always up for something better.  As for the US, there is HD content available, but its not the majority for sure.

I would love to see this in MythTV, but I guess it would depend on how soon HD is coming to the area that a developer who is capable of developing this.