[mythtv-users] Is XFS the best choice?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:13:32 UTC 2007

On 2/12/07, Jeremy Hunt <jeremythehunt at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/11/07, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > This being said there are two gotchas with XFS. You should
> > not use 4k stacks in the Linux kernel, which is the default.
> > These 4k stacks are also a problem with other drivers, like
> > the nVidia closed source drivers. The other gotcha is that
> > AMD64 compiled kernels and XFS are known to be problematic.
> > My development machine uses an AMD64 kernel and XFS and I
> > haven't had any problems, but I wouldn't use that combo
> > on a production box at the moment.
> >

> This is an important but often overlooked point. My Myth box using XFS
> would crash constantly when recording 3 shows while watching a fourth,
> basically heavy IO. After a bit of frustration I found the notes about
> using 8k stack kernels when using XFS and made the switch. It's been 4
> months now and no crashes since.
>
> XFS is generally rock solid. I have at least 100 servers using it for
> the root fs for the past few years with no issues.

I've been using XFS on my RAID10 on my Mythbox running AMD64 and its
been fine. Though I do make sure I keep ~10GB free at all times to
avoid issues with the full partition thing people have mentioned. It's
been going for about 9 months now like this.

I have noticed lately though that fragmentation may be slowing the
whole thing down? I dunno, but it seems noticeably slower the last few
months for no apparent reason.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!