[mythtv-users] Xbox frontend - what features do I need

Dave Phillips family_of_phillips at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 12 06:01:04 UTC 2007

I found this old post from
rym002 at aim
        Re: Xbox frontend - what features do I need [In reply to]
---------------------------------
    I haven't been following this thread all the way but.. here is my $.02.

I use fedora with the xbox-linux patches applied to the kernel (2.6.12-1.1456_FC4). In the kernel config file I have removed building all modules that I ...
  I wanted to chime in to let anyone who is thinking about using the xbox know that it is possible to run all mythplugins + mythstream on the xbox. Here is a breakdown off the top of my head on the performance of each plugin (my opinion).

Mythtv - Good only issue is slow to load video and EPG since .20 upgrade
MythMusic - Excellent - No Issues (I use mainly MP3)
MythVideo - Good - Slow to load video with internal player, Xine takes 5+ seconds to load but no issues, mplayer excellent (quick and painless)
MythDVD - Good - I cant fully test this since my DVD drive has issues and does not always initialize but I use mythvideo to view ISO extracts of dvd's with no issue except noted above.
MythStream - Great - I have some custom parsers that I use regularly
MythPhone - Good - FPS is low but functioning, I dont really use this much but hopefully when time permits. The only issue I have is the audio uses oss so i cannot run native also for myth due to this.
MythGame - Great - use xmame and zsnes, plan to get a Commodore 64 emulator running in the future the only issue I have is with the Categories in the database for my roms, I think it may have to do with the CRC's for the roms, not specific to the xbox install.
MythGallery - Great - OpenGL seems to have slowed down for previous versions, this may be due to the kernel upgrade I did.
MythNews/MythBrowser - Great - Worked well last time I looked at it.
MythFlix - Excelent - Works ( I don't have a netflix account to test all the features) I use it to see what movies are out on DVD.
MythWeather - Good - Aside from the data being work it is stable and does not crash the system.

If anyone has a patch to make MythRecipe work, that would increase the WAF :).

  Would you mind telling me how you got the xbox gamepad working for mythgame?
  I am using the .20 e:\ image from mythtv and I can't seem to even choose 1 or 2 player with the gamepad.

  Thanks