[mythtv-users] Is XFS the best choice?

Brett Kosinski fancypantalons at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 20:28:37 UTC 2007

> My question is, Is XFS a good file system to use for Mythtv (or
> anything?). I could maybe have save the files on the disk if I'd done
> something differently, but I've never used any file system that has
> failed so badly after a simple system reset. I know that resetting a
> running machine is not good, but we all have to do it sometimes. I've
> had to do it a lot over the last 15 years, and I've lost the odd file
> before, but never whole drives!

Well, I've posted about this before, but certainly on my Fedora box, which
is running LVM over RAID1 mirrors, I found XFS unstable.  Under normal
working conditions, I got kernel oopses somewhere around weekly, maybe a
little less frequently... unfortunately, it often happened while I was
watching TV. >:|  And when I was running an active bittorrent client on my
backend, I regularly had lockups *nightly*.

Since, then, I've migrated to ext3, and the system has been solid ever since
(the incremental delete functionality is sufficient for my needs).

Brett.