[mythtv-users] Slow network causes myth to hang?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 11 16:18:02 UTC 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 8:52 AM, David Campbell wrote:

> I am using TCP, I wonder if it is worth the effort of getting NFS V4
> working as that drastically reduces bandwidth.

I doubt it would help much if at all.

Another thing that  might help though:

If you are not getting maximum signal and therefore throughput on
your wireless you might think about high-gain or even directional
antenna(s) to improve the signal level. Obviously this will not help
if you are already at maximum.

The "Pringles Can" units work really well as long as all your nodes
are in the same direction, but even a piece of foil taped to
cardboard can make a big difference.

Directional antennas not only increase the signal in the desired
direction but reduce received interference that's off-axis.

With some wireless routers (the Linksys WRT-54 series for example)
you can install third-party firmware that allows you to increase the
transmitter power while still staying legal. The problem with this is
that unless you also increase the power at the other end it might not
help much, but you could put a high-gain antenna at one end and bump
the power at the other.

Also, if RF interference is causing you to run at less-than-optimum
speed some of the alternative firmwares allow you to operate on
channels not legal in the US, not that I would advise that.

I suppose 802.11a would be another possibility if interference is
causing you trouble.