[mythtv-users] Deinterlacing Methods

Wim Fokkens wimfokkens at planet.nl
Sun Feb 11 16:16:25 UTC 2007

Hi Daniel

Sorry for the very late reaction but I was on a Holliday.

Mark Kendall has started on an OpenGL video renderer which should allow us
to implement some really slick deinterlacers in hardware. But this isn't
very far along yet and we will not be writing an XvMC replacement in OpenGL
fragment programs anytime soon; we may eventually do this since it doesn't
look like nVidia will be adding MPEG-4 AVC support to XvMC...

For the time being is it possible to use other deinterlacers instead of the
ones we can chose in the user interface?

It is however prone to "bobbing" as it's name would indicate. The smaller
your video resolution, the more pronounced is the bobbing.

For this reason would it be smart to firs upscale both fields and after this
do the bob deinterlacing?

The vertical resolution needs to be a multiple of 2 of the video source
vertical resolution for the bobbing to completely disappear.

I tried this I made a modeline with a resolution of 1840 x 1152 @50Hz and
feed this to a 24" Sun VGA monitor. But I still could see some bobbing I
took 2x 576 with are the visible line of pal. Or should I take the total
number of lines (625)

Thanks in advance.

Wim