[mythtv-users] Is XFS the best choice?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 11 14:30:58 UTC 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 7:09 AM, Damian Surr wrote:

> So, I'm really not complaining that I've lost data. That's my bad luck
> and no one else's fault. I'm simply asking if XFS is up to the job of
> being a dependable file system. I'd rather have slow deletes than
> situations like this. I'm holding off on reinstalling Ubuntu and Myth
> until I hear some feedback because I know I'll need to reboot in the
> future, and there'll be a power cut at some point even if I don't.

There was a discussion of this here a while back, check the archives.

Basically I think XFS tends to get flaky when the filesystem gets
close to full, a common situation with Myth. JFS is supposed to be
good at deleting large files and some have suggested it is the best
system for Myth.

With the "slow deletes" feature of Myth now ext3 should be pretty
good, unless you have other applications deleting files on that
system that are not as well behaved.

I use ext3 on a 0.19 system without the slow deletes feature and the
only problem I have is if I delete a program longer than 1 hour I can
get a short glitch in a recording if it's happening, the buffering
seems to be sufficient to handle 2.2GB deletes, but I'm using two
drives in RAID0.

So I get a brief glitch in a recording? So what? It doesn't bother
me, but it might bother some folks. I see much worse problems
generated at the program's source.