[mythtv-users] Confused about the channel editor / adding HDTV QAM channels

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sat Feb 10 05:31:43 UTC 2007

-
>> So you must choose the channels you want to get digitally, and set up
>> your Zap2it lineup for those only. The others go into a different lineup.
>>
>> Others have faced this problem. I do not think there is an easy answer.
>> You might try the wiki and search the list archive.

> Oh, I'm very familiar with the list search ;)
>
> Here's what I did - after doing a DVB scan through the mythtv-setup, I
> started up Mythfrontend and browsed my new channels.  When I
> discovered all I really had that I could pick up in HD were local
> channels, I made an additional listing at Zap2It with just the OTA
> stations, and just the DT versions of those.
>
> I edited each channel that I wanted to view using the frontend channel
> editor.  For each channel, I put in the XMLTV id from the new listing
> - all of these should be new, since I don't have the DT channels on my
> analog cable.
>
> I *believe* that what happened is when I did my next mythfilldatabase,
> Myth re-assigned the frequencies for these channels from the QAM
> digital cables frequencies I'd scanned to the OTA frequencies.  Now, I
> can't tune those channels in.  I'm guessing that what I need to do now
> is do a manual dvbscan and find the actual frequencies of the channels
> I want to use and manually hack the channel table to use these
> frequencies.  Does this sound correct?  Is this the *normal* way of
> doing this, or did I botch something else somewhere?  Will these
> frequencies get changed again when I do my next mythfilldatabase?

I'm not sure what happened but I would guess that you used the OTA
xmltvid's to identify the channels. The only way that makes sense is if
mythfilldatabase queries zap2it for channel/frequency etc. information.
I did not think that it did that, but it may.
I'd love to be able to say I could look at the code to confirm that, but
  I don't do C++...
Geoff