[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sat Feb 10 00:30:17 UTC 2007

On 9 Feb 2007, at 23:37, matthew.garman at gmail.com wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 11:00:00PM +0000, Stroller wrote:
>> And I find them to be fairly affordable on eBay. I'd find the
>> off-the- shelf prices (here in the UK, at least) a little
>> prohibitive, but I  don't think I'm impatient enough that that
>> needs to be a problem. It  looks like one can pick up a 9500-12
>> for a couple of hundred quid,  6TB should be enough for anybody.
>
> This thread prompted me to take a gander at 3ware cards on ebay.  I
> didn't see any used (or reasonably priced) PCI Express 3ware SATA
> RAID cards.  All the ones I would consider affordable (e.g. 9500)
> are 64-bit PCI cards.

Ah, indeed. See my other email which should have reached the list a
little before this one.

> So, to those of you who own these cards, do you also have
> motherboards with 64-bit PCI (which are usually found only on
> "server" grade (i.e.  very expensive) boards), or do you just run
> them in 32-bit PCI slots found on most commodity motherboards?

I have to admit I was looking at these from the point-of-view of
repurposing a 3-year-old Tyan Tiger Althlon 1800ish MP which I have
here. Due to the age of this motherboard and since I know for a fact
that I haven't bought any hardware since any of the newer varieties
of PCI (PCI-X, PCI-express?) were available I had assumed that the
"regular PCI" 9500s would work. I see now that the Tyan has two "long
PCI" slots which I assume to be 64-bit.

I think I considered this motherboard to be "a little pricey" for a
workstation PC when I bought it and I find it to have cost me 124 +
VAT (the processors were 78.24 each). I think I have little problem
spending this much - it's just one of life's little extravagances -
on a high-end motherboard & processor because my first such purchase
was decidedly low-end, a Cyrex P-150 & a Gigabye board, and that cost
me as much.

Stroller.