[mythtv-users] MythTV + Distro

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 10 00:04:06 UTC 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 3:46 PM, Stroller wrote:

> But no, we can't be seen to "drive away newbies" by telling them
> that, or in any way be anything other than supportive of their
> decision to choose our favourite platform, however difficult or
> stressful it may transpire to be for them.

One of my least favorite statements I once saw was "I don't want to
learn anything about Linux, I just want to get MythTV going".

You have to distinguish between people who want to learn about Linux
and folks who just want to "get MythTV going". There is a huge
difference.

Anyone who truly wants to learn about Linux can't be stopped, they
will learn it and we can merely speed up or slow down the process.

I might argue that the all-in-one Myth distributions are actually
better suited for experienced Linux users who just want to get a
dedicated box up ASAP, so they can get back to real Linux work on
their main machine.

The "compile it yourself" approach might be better for total Linux
newbies, as they will certainly learn about Linux faster and more
completely.

I'm not really sure if I have done the right thing in the past by
suggesting AIOs to total newcomers to the Linux world.