[mythtv-users] pchdtv 5500, verizon fios, and ota, oh my!

Andrew Kimpton awk at awkward.org
Fri Feb 9 14:47:30 UTC 2007

Kurt Yoder wrote:
> On Feb 8, 2007, at 10:28 PM, Andrew Kimpton wrote:
>

>> Here in the Boston area the FIOS TV Coax connection is QAM-256 (and
>> MOCA
>> I think for some aspects - the two seem to co-exist in some sense),
>> although the vast majority of channels are encrypted the common OTA
>> (and
>> local community access channels) appear in the main to be unencrypted.
>> With the hundreds of channels on FIOS did you perhaps overlook just
>> 6-8
>> unencrypted program streams ?
>>
>> Admittedly I'm using a HDHomeRun not a PCHDTV 5500 though
>>

> What kind of set top box are you using? I have a Motorola QIP 2500-1.
> How were you able to find the unencrypted channels?

I have the same Motorola QIP 2500 settop box. However it doesn't
'figure' in the equation, I just connect the coax directly to the
HDHomeRun (in much the same way the other responder described). If you
want to use the settop box you'll need a firewire connection between it
and the Myth Backend machine - you'll still find however that the fast
majority of channels are encrypted.

Andrew 8-)