[mythtv-users] core 2 duo mobile or athlon 64 x2?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 00:13:22 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Dawning Sky <the.dawning.sky at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of (re-)building my myth box and deciding which cpu to
> use.  So in terms of heat and noise, which is better, core 2 duo
> mobile or atholon 64 x2?  And what will be the minimum clocks,
> respectively, for them to handle deinterlaced 1080i mpeg2?

noise is a wash, as its more a matter of what heatsink you purchase.

idle the Athlon will use less power, full bore the Core 2 Duo will use
less power.

Do you *need* the speed of a Core 2 Duo? Not specifically, but for
h264 you will, and right now the Athlon64's can't touch the
performance of them, so if your willing to spend the money I would
suggest the Core 2 Duo.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!