[mythtv-users] STEP 3 Destroy your TV

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 8 18:05:46 UTC 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Peter Ebert wrote:

> I'm new to the whole mythtv thing, been weighing the options of
> installing according to wilsonet.com or useing a package, like
> knoppmyth. So I've been reading through everything to see what
> would be the best path when I read under step 3 for the Knoppmyth
> setup that you can destroy your tv if you dont have /etc/X11/
> XF86Config-4 setup correctly.  Why haven't I seen this anywhere else?

That's a standard disclaimer for anything having to do with driving
monitors. It's been around since the first days of X.

It's really not such a problem these days, any monitor so old and
crappy that it could be destroyed by incorrect timings probably
*should* be blown up.

> Also, it doesnt mention what/how to change the refresh rate.  I
> have found some more information on knoppMythWiki but nothing very
> clear (to me).
>
> I'm going to be using a nVidia 7300 LE that has S-Video out,
> eventually i'd like to use the hdmi (once I pony up the cash for an
> HD). Anyone know if I need to be worried and how to go about not
> breaking TVs.
>
> I'm a total noob so spelling things out for me would be
> appreciated, I hope I asked this question in the right place.

It's not Myth specific but everyone here has at least one monitor so
it;s as topical as anything else here.

Look at some of the X documentation for more info though.