[mythtv-users] Laggy time-seeks?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 8 17:31:50 UTC 2007

On Feb 8, 2007, at 10:15 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 02/06/2007 03:23 AM, William Pettersson wrote:
>> Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>>> have you run optimize_mythdb.pl lately? (you should really be
>>> running
>>> it once a day if your not already.)
>>>

>> I hadn't, no.  On a side-note, does anyone know where Gentoo
>> installs this?
>>
>> Anyway, I found in in the tarball, and ran it.  It apparently
>> optimized
>> some tables.  However, while improving performance slightly (maybe?
>> partially?  a little bit?), it fixed all my problems.
>
> I highly recommend you set it up as a daily cron job as suggested
> in the
> comments at the top of the script.

Probably a stupid question:

Is there a possibility of trouble if the optimize job were to run at
the same time as mythfilldatabase?

I'm assuming the two operations could "get along" but it might cause
a timeout on MFDB because some of the optimize steps can take many
seconds.

I'm following the "suggested next" so I can't predict the precise
time MFDB will run, so I've just been running the optimize manually
every few days after checking.

I guess I could create a script called from a cron job that checked
if MFDB was running before starting to optimize but even then it
could start immediately after the optimize started.

I suspect I'm just being too paranoid, but...