[mythtv-users] Baby Steps - Weening off of TiVo

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 8 06:23:07 UTC 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 10:55 PM, mythtvster wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am ready to take the plunge and build myself a MythTV system.  I
> am sure there are people who are sick of newcomers asking the same
> questions over and over but if you will be patient with me I might
> actually get this accomplished.
>
> 1. I am a Linux neophyte with my only experience upgrading my TiVo
> hard drive.  I would like to take small steps with getting my hands
> dirty so an easy/user friendly distro would be welcome.  KnopixMyth?

KnoppMyth and Mythdora are the two best-known "all in one" MythTV
distributions. Either one might be the best for you.

But spending some time learning Linux in general will definitely
stand you in good stead in the long run.

> 2. What is a time tested hardware configuration for a TiVo type of
> functionality?  Eventually I would want to have a closet back end
> do all of the leg work and a cool looking front end to go next to
> my HDTV (but hey ... who doesn't)

http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

But you knew that, right ?

Unfortunately Myth does not at this time support the "bill you every
month" feature of TiVo, you will have to learn to get along without
that one.