[mythtv-users] toggling slow deletes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Feb 8 05:20:23 UTC 2007

On 01/16/2007 09:14 AM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> I have slow deletes turned on in my Myth setup. I schedule more recordings
> than I have disk space to store them, and occasionally I Delete+Record
> recordings I haven't watched yet because I know they'll come around again on
> TV.
>
> Slow deletes are, as advertised, slow. Is there a way to toggle slow deletes
> off temporarily, so I can do a bunch of manual deletes quickly?

Do your deletes with slow delete enabled, then restart the backend.
Doing so will delete everything in the queue as fast as your filesystem
allows.  Note, though, that mythbackend won't shut down until they're
all deleted (so don't restart it thinking the terminal hung--it's
waiting for mbe to finish terminating--when it's done, it's safe to
restart).

There's no "do this delete as fast as possible" option, though.  I don't
see why it would be useful.  I just queue up a bunch of deletes and
eventually they're gone.  As long as it's not taking my time and it's
happening faster than I'm recording new stuff, I don't care how long it
takes.

Mike