[mythtv-users] PVR-500 problems

J. David Maino david.maino at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 02:07:02 UTC 2007

I'm having problems getting my PVR-500 to work properly. The images are
terrible - not snowy, but all distorted and there are weird colors and
lines everywhere in video from both tuners. I've tried testing it using
MythTV as well as using "cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test0.mpg" and "cat
/dev/video1 > /tmp/test1.mpg" and they both look horrible either way.
The sound seems to work alright, and I can hear what is being said, but
it is also a little fuzzy. I'm not very familiar with Linux
troubleshooting, but I'm willing to get my hands dirty and would
definitely appreciate some ideas as to where to start looking to solve
this.

Additionally, I cannot see channels above channel 14. They are all
black and there is no sound, but I'm assuming that is a separate issue.

Just for reference, I'm running Ubuntu Edgy (2.6.17 kernel) with MythTV
0.20 and IVTV drivers from the repositories (0.7.something I think...
unfortunately I'm not at the machine right now). Any tips on where I
might look for error messages, and what specifically I might look for,
would be greatly appreciated.