[mythtv-users] TV Recommendations

Scott Alfter mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 7 20:16:04 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> Look for a VGA input so you can fed the set easily from a cheap video
> card.

I'd recommend DVI or HDMI over VGA.  Even cheap video cards like the
ever-popular GeforceFX 5200s often offer DVI output, and it'll be much easier
to get a 1:1 correspondence between pixels in the framebuffer and pixels on the
screen with a digital connection than with an analog connection: calculate a
modeline for your screen's native resolution and you're done.  Keep in mind
that most LCD TVs, unlike LCD monitors sold for computer use, don't have an
"auto-sync" button that can get them to lock onto a VGA signal.  You could have
a hard time getting a sharp display with VGA on an LCD TV; I did, when I tried
out a 26" LCD that only had VGA (and other analog inputs).

The 30" LCD I have now uses DVI.  If you end up with HDMI (you're more likely
to get that than DVI at this point), a $20 (if that) dongle will "convert" DVI
to HDMI (all it does is wire some pins on the DVI connector to some pins on the
HDMI connector).

  _/_
 / v \ Scott Alfter