[mythtv-users] TV Recommendations

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Wed Feb 7 15:36:28 UTC 2007

On 7 Feb 2007, at 13:44, Stephen Sassman wrote:

> Just out of curiosity... Anyone have an opinion on DLP?

Cheap & they seem to work well enough.

I would probably choose a DLP over LCD or plasma, simply because I'll
be able to get the screen size for much less money, and I don't care
that it's a few inches thick at the base.

I'm not an expert on TV's & their image quality, so I may not be the
best person to answer this. I would say that the most important thing
for me when I've been choosing a TV for Myth use is the ability to
get square pixels at a 1:1 mapping using DVI. Many 16:9 plasmas seem
to be resolutions like 1024x768, which "doesn't make sense" to me.
Obviously they use rectangular pixels and a computer should be able
to allow for this (Windows Media Centre Edition has an option in
display properties which shows an ellipse and allows you to correct
it until it's circular) but nevertheless I'll pass in pursuit of an
easy life.

I'm happy enough with the image quality of my current DLP (2 years
old, 576p, £2000 new, I bought it 2nd-hand on eBay for £320 before
Christmas) but it doesn't have VGA or DVI inputs, and I wasn't able
to find a DLP that met my 1:1-square-pixels criteria. I was advised
to look at LCDs [1] and consequently I just ordered a cheapo LCD.
It's a Tatung / Goodmans which I don't believe to be (widely?)
available in North America, but I might well have looked at the
Westinghouses if I were in your position.

Stroller.

[1] http://www.avforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4092953&postcount=3